Things What I Learnt - General Rookie Stuff

4:45 PM

So, there were quite a few things I learned after my first real (my previous one was more of a tiny thing and not a full on project) cosplay build and event.  While the whole experience was wonderful and eye opening, there are many things I would like to do better for future cons and cosplay.





Plan-Schedule-Time
     Having all three of these will make a world of difference.  Even though it was only a small project, my very very first attempt at cosplay (2014) was a bit of a hot mess.  This is largely due to the fact that I didn't plan beyond a vague concept of what I wanted to do, I didn't make a schedule of what to do when, and I didn't allow enough time to get it all done.  This year, anticipating my penchant for procrastination and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants attitude I take to things more seriously than I had for my Shadowrun Decker.  I started planning in January for the con at the beginning of November.  Once the plan was done, shopping started, and found some time away from work I started working on things in February.  This left March to November for me to get stuff done.  I had a vague schedule of what I wanted to finish when and I tried hard to schedule time in my life to dedicate to the project.  All three things helped a great deal, but I wish I had been better about dedicating time and sticking to the schedule.  The biggest thing I regret is I got cocky due to my progress (because I was sticking to the schedule and dedicated time as best I could) in about May and started slacking off and working another cosplay.  Admittedly this cosplay was pretty much a no brainer with very little work needing to be done, but that loss of time resulted in me freaking out in the last couple weeks after things went south on some of the main project and I needed to rebuild.  Plan more, make and stick to a schedule, and allow more time.  I started planning my cosplay for 2016 in mid November and I started the last week in December.  I intend to not get cocky stick more closely to the schedule and make sure I finish one project before I decide to dedicate time to another.  TIME TIME TIME!

Test before you do
     I wasted a lot of time and material using the wrong thing for an application.  Testing a bit of material for an application before committing to the build would have saved me time, money, and resulted in a better product.  It might seem like a waste of time when you're up against the time crunch as con approaches (something you're going to avoid because of what I mention above), but I promise it will be more than worth it.  The pieces will be better and you'll have more money for future costumes, or, you know . . . booze at the con.  ;)

Pictures
     Take them.  Take lots of them.  More than you think you might need.  Not just at the con with the finished product.  Take pictures the whole time leading up to the event.  Take pictures periodically of everything you are working on.  These are vital to track your progress, look on what you did so you can hit the undo button and go back to where things jump the rail  I really failed on this point and it was frustrating.  Taking pictures would have given me a visual timeline of what I had done.  If I did something that mucked up what I was working on, taking previous pictures might have allowed me to find where I messed up.  Not to mention, when I did need to tear something apart to fix what I had messed up, the pictures would have allowed me to start from a place other than ground zero.  This would have saved me so much time it is ridiculous.  It is also good idea to have them to add to a cosplay journal (something I heartily encourage) to note how you improved and what techniques lent them selves well to an application.

Make a journal
     Be it in a binder, notebook, or online somewhere, make and keep a journal while you build and plan.  I wish I had done this.  It would have given me a good place to flesh out my plans instead of just relying on the amorphous pictures in my head.  I could add notes, thoughts on construction, mention things that went bad and things that went well.  I could have added and written down any number of things to allow me to keep track of what I was doing.  While it may have helped me a great deal at the time, I think it would be vital for future projects and I have started one for this year.

Draw before you cut 
     This may seem like a stupid suggestion.  I mean, who doesn't draw things out before they dive in.  Well, I didn't.  I thought my brain picture of the project was going to be fine and dependable.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  This resulted in inconsistency that needed to be addressed in the middle of construction.  I had reference images, but drawing things out would have resulted in higher quality work.  Even given my complete lack of talent in the drawing department, it would have been incredibly valuable to have.  Sketch out the pieces before you do any construction.  Do it from multiple angles and do it multiple times.  It doesn't matter if you suck at it, do it.

Practice walking in your costume
     This is something I knew about.  This is something you hear from everyone.  This is something I thought I had done a satisfactory amount.  However, after being on my feet for a few hours in the Eiger costume, I found myself in pain out of breath and sore all over.  I had walked around the apartment in the costume for a little while as I completed pieces and I walked around in my boots for an hour or so every three days in the month leading up to the con.  This was not enough.  This year, I intend to  wear the costume for a prolonged period.  This will make it possible to fix any fit issues or construction issues that will lead to an uncomfortable time.  Practice walking and being in that costume for a few hours at a time before you head to con.  You will be a much happier cosplayer.

Well, that's about all the stuff I can think of for now.  I'm sure there was more, but hey . . . we all keep learning, right?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts